Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Meet Francis And Mary Rose

March 02, 2011

My girlfriend, Zaza, bought me a java chip frappe grande and a muffin(or whatever it is called) from Starbucks.  On my way home, around 9:30pm, I decided to pull over in Jollibee Shell Marcos Highway(a fastfood that has bee as a mascot) to finish my meal.  While savoring the yummy taste of my food, a boy beggar approached me asking for money.


"Can I have some loose change to buy some food?" (Penge po pera.  Pangkain lang po.), he said.

But I don't usually give money to beggars, instead, I prefer giving them food or drinks.

"Wait for a while..." (Teka lang...), I said while I finish the few last bites of my muffin.

After a few seconds, I told him to sit for a while as I get some money from my car.  As I returned, I saw him staring blank at his feet.  I asked him, "Have you eaten?  Wait for me, I'll buy you something to eat..." (Kumain ka na ba?  Hintayin mo ako, bilhan kita ng pagkain...)

"Can I take it home?" (Pwede ko po ba iuwi?), he said.  I smiled and told him that it's up to him.

As I said those phrases, I saw a smile from his face.

I went to the cashier and bought a chickenjoy meal and a cone twirl for takeout.  I went back, and gave him his food.  As he reached out to get the food, I sensed that he hasn't eaten anything for quite sometime.

While eating his ice cream, I asked several questions about him.

He's name is Francis.  He's a 10-year old boy and has three(3) siblings.  He stopped studying and just reached elementary grade 2 because of financial constraint.  He's living with his parents, but apparently, the don't have a job at all.  They live alongside a creek nearby.

Our conversation stopped when I noticed that he glanced to someone.

"Do you want some?" (Gusto mo?), he uttered.

I looked to where he was facing and found a young girl hiding behind a chair.

"Is she your younger sister?" (Kapatid mo ba siya?), I asked.


As he nodded, I asked for her name.

"Mary Rose"

If I'm not mistaken, Mary Rose's age is around 6-8 years old.

I looked at her face, and sensed that she wants some ice cream also.  I instructed Francis to ask her younger sister to sit besides him as I buy something for her.

I went back to the cashier and bought the same meal.

"Sir, do you want the same meal?" (Sir, parehong meal po?), the cashier asked.  Only then that I realized that the entire fastfood crew were looking at my actions.

"Yes, please.", I answered.

I went back and handed Mary Rose her meal and ice cream.  With excitement on her face, she reached out for the food and smiled.

The group of people sitting near were looking at our table as well.

I leaned forward to Francis and asked...

"Do you know how to pray?" (Marunong kayo magdasal?), I asked.

He answered no, and I felt sad that at his young age, nobody's there to form their faith.

"Tell you parents, to look for a job.  Ok?  Take good care of your sister."  (Sabihin mo sa magulang mo, maghanap sila ng trabaho.  Ok?  Alagaan mo kapatid mo.", I told him.

I shook his head and walked away with a smile in my face...

...and with a smile in my heart.


Help me pray for them that they won't loose hope... that they're parents will be able to find a stable job... and that their family will be able to meet and accept God in their lives.


==========================================================
Source of the article: Sol Manila, Philippines
Source of the picture used: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28134048@N04/2996654855 

No comments:

Post a Comment